School community members are invited to recognise teacher excellence and outstanding contribution to student outcomes in school sport over an extended period of time by nominating them for the Excellent Service to School Sport award.
The Excellent Service to School Sport Award nominations close on Monday 17.08.2020 (week 5 term 3).
Nominators are required to complete the nomination form which is then submitted through the online form (link is within the nomination form).
Nominators and the principals of the nominees will receive email confirmation of their submission of a ESTSSA nomination application. They will also be emailed of the success of their application by the end of term 3.
Who can nominate?
Nominators can be anyone within the Department, as well as parents and community members, but in all cases approval from the nominees principal must be sought. It is recommended that the nomination contain as much detail/specific examples of the outstanding experiences of the nominee and this may require collaboration with other people to obtain specific information about a nominee's service to school sport within and outside of their school.
Basis for nomination
When considering a teacher for this award, nominations should consider:
- sustained and consistent contribution through significant involvement in school sport and physical activity programs (minimum of 5 years teaching service)
- evidence of innovation or improved practise in school sport and/or physical activity programs, for example, Premier's Sporting Challenge, School Swimming and Water Safety program, opportunities for students with disabilities
- impact on improved student outcomes in school sport and/or physical activity program settings
- involvement in representative school sport (knockout, zone/district, region, state, or international levels).
- teachers nominated for this award must be current employees
- nominees can only receive one of each award in their teaching career. Therefore teachers who have previously received a Certificate of Recognition are encouraged to be nominated for a Excellent Service to School Sport Award in future years.
How are nominations assessed?
Each nomination is considered by a panel to determine a nominee’s suitability to receive the Excellent Service to School Sport award. Applications which do not meet the criteria associated with this prestigious award, but demonstrate a dedicated and valued service to school sport may qualify for a Certificate of Recognition.
How will recipients be acknowledged?
Recipients of the Excellent Service to School Sport award and their schools are provided with framed certificates. Certificates of Recognition recipients will receive a framed certificate. These will be distributed to schools mid term 4. Principals are encouraged to organise a presentation at a suitable time.
Excellent Service to School Sport award past recipients
Since 2014, 241 teachers have been recognised for their contribution to school sport and physical activity programs in Department of Education schools.
- 104 teachers have been awarded the Excellent Service to School Sport award
- 137 teachers have been awarded the Certificate of Recognition