Risk management plans ensure that clear processes are in place for the identification of hazards and assessment of risks. Risk management involves a thorough analysis of activity, equipment, environment, communication, participants and staff which enables risk factors to be identified, removed or controlled in the provision of duty of care.
Consent collection must be included in all risk management plans.
Consent must provide clear details of the event or activity being undertaken and any other critical information for parents/carers. Careful consideration must be given to the purpose of the questions being asked and the relevance to the activity being undertaken. For example gender is not required when considering the duty of care required in supervision allocation.
Additional approved statements relating directly to sport and physical activity are also required for inclusion in consent forms.
The approved statements and acknowledgement bullet points to be included in the sign-off related to each statement are included in the “Consent – must haves” (May 2022 PDF 55KB).
The approved statements and acknowledgement bullet points to be included in the sign-off for each statement, must be used as part of any consent form developed at the local level, as they relate to the proposed activity. These additional statements address critical elements of consent including:
- Personal injury and insurance information (updated May 2022 DOCX 29KB) in the event of injury and an acknowledgement statement in final sign-off section.
- Concussion (updated May 2022 DOCX 28KB) management advice concerning required action and an acknowledgement statement in final sign-off section.
A number of sample consent forms have been developed for use by schools.
Sample consent templates
- School/Interschool sport updated May 2022 (DOCX 26KB)
- Zone sport updated May 2022 (DOCX 35KB)
- Snow Sport Excursion Consent updated May 2022 (DOCX 28KB)
There are a number of mandatory extracts regarding specific activities that must be used when conducting all forms of contact / tackle football or aquatic activities.
- Contact / tackle football consent – rugby, rugby league, Australian Football updated May 2022 (DOCX 19KB)
- Structured aquatic activity consent updated May 2022 (DOCX 20KB)
- Unstructured aquatic activity consent updated May 2022 (DOCX 18KB)