Every year, School swimming and water safety employs approximately 550 teachers and swim instructors to teach swimming at pools across NSW. The majority of swimming programs are run in Terms 1, 3 and 4 with both temporary engagements and casual work available.
This is a wonderful opportunity for teachers and swim instructors who love to work outdoors and have a passion for swimming and the safety of all children in water.
Please email your interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org as positions are available, across all areas of NSW including the Sydney Metropolitan area.
Staff team members required criteria
- Current WWCC for paid employee
- Current swimming qualifications (or willingness to obtain).
- Current CPR (or willingness to obtain).
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to manage approximately 15 students in the water.
- Commitment to promotion of water safety.
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment.
- Strong teaching and organisational skills.
Employment can be as a:
- Temporary teacher
- Casual teacher
- Casual community member instructor
The School Sport Unit appoints a Teacher In Charge (TIC) for each team, who acts as the team administrator for the program. Each team is comprised of a TIC and an additional two teachers. Each team member is qualified in the area of aquatic education.
Employment application procedures
Register via the link below:
Dashapp Swim Staff Registration - please ensure you register as "Swim Staff"
Dashapp Swim Staff Application Guide (PDF 308KB) - click here for assistance
For clearance to teach in the DoE swimming and water safety programs community members and teachers who have not worked for the DoE in the past 12 months will need to submit:
- all necessary probity documents: Documents to complete for probity check.
- WWCC for paid work: https://www.ocg.nsw.gov.au/
- bank details SSWS Employee bank details (PDF 227KB)
- superannuation details SSWS Employee superannuation details (PDF 309KB)
- tax file declaration SSWS Employee tax file form (PDF 417KB)
- proof of Covid-19 Vaccination
Swim teacher courses will give instructors the qualifications to effectively and safely teach swimming and water safety skills to school aged children within the Department of Education.
The 3 swim teacher workshops provided by RLSSA, AUSTSWIM and ASCTA include the swim teacher course and the perform basic water rescue accreditation.
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia (RLSSA) perform basic water rescue accreditation (face to face)
- Royal Life Saving Society Australia (RLSSA) swim teacher accreditation (face to face)
- AUSTSWIM teacher of swimming and water safety accreditation (face to face)
- ASCTA Swim Australia teacher accreditation (face to face)
The Swim Teacher License is a requirement for teachers instructing in school-initiated learn-to-swim programs to comply with the DoE Sport Safety Guidelines, swimming and water safety. The 3 swim teacher workshops provided by RLSSA, AUSTSWIM and ASCTA include the perform basic water rescue accreditation also.
The perform basic water rescue accreditation will give participants the minimum requirement needed to comply with the DoE Sport Safety Guidelines, swimming and water safety. Upon completion, teachers will be qualified to supervise students during school-based aquatic recreational activities, such as fishing, canoeing, pool and water play, during excursions and/or school camps plus weekly sport activities involving water.
**The School Sport Unit will provide relief costs for DoE teachers attending a swim teacher course on a school day. Please contact us at email@example.com to organise relief payment. The School Sport Unit will also reimburse DoE schools up to $300 for the cost of the workshop.