Every year, School swimming and water safety employs approximately 550 teachers and swim instructors to teach swimming at pools across NSW. The majority of swimming programs are run in Terms 1, 3 and 4 with both temporary engagements and casual work available.
This is a wonderful opportunity for teachers and swim instructors who love to work outdoors and have a passion for swimming and the safety of all children in water.
Please email your interest to: email@example.com as positions are available, across all areas of NSW including the Sydney Metropolitan area.
Staff team members required criteria
- Current WWCC for paid employee
- Current swimming qualifications (or willingness to obtain).
- Current CPR (or willingness to obtain).
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to manage approximately 15 students in the water.
- Commitment to promotion of water safety.
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment.
- Strong teaching and organisational skills.
Employment can be as a:
- Temporary teacher
- Casual teacher
- Casual community member instructor
The School Sport Unit appoints a Teacher In Charge (TIC) for each team, who acts as the team administrator for the program. Each team is comprised of a TIC and an additional two teachers. Each team member is qualified in the area of aquatic education.
Employment application procedures
Register via the link below:
Dashapp Swim Staff Registration - please ensure you register as "Swim Staff"
Dashapp Swim Staff Application Guide (PDF 308KB) - click here for assistance
For clearance to teach in the DoE swimming and water safety programs community members and teachers who have not worked for the DoE in the past 12 months will need to submit:
- all necessary probity documents: Documents to complete for probity check.
- WWCC for paid work: https://www.ocg.nsw.gov.au/
- bank details SSWS Employee bank details (PDF 227KB)
- superannuation details SSWS Employee superannuation details (PDF 309KB)
- tax file declaration SSWS Employee tax file form (PDF 417KB)
- proof of Covid-19 Vaccination
Swim teacher courses will give instructors the qualifications to effectively and safely teach swimming and water safety skills to school aged children within the Department of Education.
The 3 swim teacher workshops provided by RLSSA, AUSTSWIM and ASCTA include the swim teacher course and the perform basic water rescue accreditation.
Information regarding these courses can be found in the Teacher Resource Hub - Coaching and officiating accreditation page (swimming)